The Fed’s preferred measure of inflation shows signs of cooling
Related media – Latest news

The Federal Reserve’s preferred inflation gauge continues to show signs of cooling, accompanied by moderate growth in consumer spending – good news for central banks aiming to control rising prices and curb demand.

In May, the personal consumption expenditure (PCE) index rose 2.6% from a year earlier, meeting economists’ expectations and down slightly from April’s 2.7% increase. Excluding more volatile food and fuel prices, core inflation also rose 2.6% year-on-year, down from 2.8% in April. On a monthly basis, inflation remained particularly subdued, with overall prices showing no significant increases.

The Federal Reserve is likely to scrutinize this new inflation data as it considers its next policy moves. Since 2022, the Fed has aggressively raised interest rates to suppress consumer and business demand, which may help slow price increases. However, since July 2023, borrowing costs have remained stable at 5.3% as inflation has gradually eased. The Fed is now deliberating the timing of any interest rate cuts.

While officials initially expected to implement several rate cuts in 2024, these plans were delayed due to persistent inflation earlier in the year. Policymakers still expect one or two rate cuts before the end of the year, with investors speculating that the first cut could occur in September. However, this decision will depend on upcoming economic data, including inflation and labor market metrics.

While inflation remains above the Fed’s 2% annual target, it has slowed significantly from its peak in 2022, when overall PCE inflation reached 7.1%. The consumer price index (CPI), a related measure, peaked even higher at 9.1% and has declined substantially since then.

Fed officials have indicated that rate cuts will begin once they are confident that inflation is under control or if the labor market unexpectedly weakens. While policymakers generally expect inflation to slow in the coming months, some are concerned about potential stagnation.

“Much of the progress on inflation last year was due to supply-side improvements, including easing supply chain constraints, greater availability of workers partly due to immigration, and energy prices lower,” said Michelle Bowman, Fed governor, in a speech this week. She warned that these factors could be less favorable in the future.

By contrast, other officials worry that a broader economic slowdown could soon impact the job market, fearing that keeping interest rates high for too long could excessively curb growth and hurt American workers.

Hiring has remained robust, and while wage growth is cooling, it remains strong. However, some indicators suggest that working conditions are weakening: job openings have fallen sharply, the unemployment rate has risen, and unemployment claims have risen slightly.

“The labor market has been slow to adjust, and the unemployment rate has increased only slightly,” noted Mary C. Daly, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, in a recent speech. “But we are approaching a point where this positive outcome may be less likely.”

The report released Friday found that consumer spending remained subdued in May, further evidence that the economy is losing momentum.

News of interest – Other related media